Cattle Market Inn
The Cattle Market Inn is behind the obelisk, it is now part of the
The postcard is from the Francis Frith Collection which can be viewed at www.francisfrith.com
Close inspection of the postcard reveals that the Cattle Market Inn was a Bullards house, like many of Dereham's pubs. It seems that Bullards had a virtual monopoly in this area long before the Monoplies and Mergers Commision 1989 report into the brewing industry.
The shop next to the Cattle Market Inn has the signage 'ALCOCK'. According to Kelly's 1908, Mrs Emily Alcock was a saddler at 21, Market Place. This would explain the oval items beneath the shop window, they must be horse collars.
The Cattle Market Inn, 22 Market Place, closed in 1913 (8)
Kelly's 1883 entry - Russell, John, Cattle Market Inn, Market Place
The Obelisk was dismantled after WWII and thrown down a well near the Assembly Rooms (5)